10 Jan 2009

Winter Wonderland

We've had snow before, but always just a sprinkling, like icing sugar dusted over a cake, which melted and disappeared again after a few hours during the warmth of the day.
But last Sunday night it started to snow, continuing all day Monday. Life was on pause, no one went to work and university was canceled until the roads, footpaths, train and tram lines were cleared.

"hmm... how shall I get to work today?"


This man was swearing and cursing as the pram kept getting stuck in the snow.
All week the days have been between -5° and -10° and the nights even colder. The 10 centimetres are still lying around, covering the land, slowly turning to mush.
Above and below: The church and tree outside our livingroom/kitchen window.

It's beautiful, no doubt about that. The normally dull, grey, sleeping winter scenery glitters and shimmers with reflected sunshine from a blue sky. But the sun holds no warmth.


The view out our bedroom window.


Everyday I wear woolen stockings, knee high woolen socks, several layers, a thick winter coat, a scarf and gloves - the half of which needs to be taken on and off every hour or so. Every time I step outside my nose starts to run, and my hands and face feel like they've frozen off.

To be honest, I hate it. Snow is all good well for a skiing holiday, but to go about daily life in such conditions is hell. I never want to leave the house.

Above & below: Bochum Uni, where Max studies and I have my German classes.
My European friends all laugh at me. The Russians don't bother with more than a jacket.
I'll take sunshine and 40° any day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. We're all laughing at you! Haha.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos - and you are reading feet of clay :) classic.
Ahh at the moment i am tempted to swap with you - you may have our 40 degree days and i will have some snow - its sooo hot.
love kate

carla! said...

i'll swap with you too! you ungrateful bum!! its soooo hot here in lovely old canberra, no beaches. poor lake berley griffin can barely stay cool enough to refresh us!
thanks for the beautiful photos,
love your little sis and aaron says hello leila!
xoxox

cathy said...

LEILA!
great photos dude. That snow looks amazing and I too am laughing but mainly at just the craziness. The weather here says 32 today, 43 tomorrow, and 23 on Sunday. Wtf.
I love that you're blogging again.
I'll stayed tuned ;)

Anonymous said...

+ that 43 that cathy mentioned just above turned out to be a new record for the hottest day in like 60 years or something...think it reached 46 or 47!
i too would rather the snow! (ive always been a bit of a winter girl). but then again im clearly russian hahaha

hope for a new update when u've got time.
love + miss u! ;-)

-Heidi